- 1 medium to large onion, sliced into rings
- 2 oz Pork rind crumbs (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin (10g)
- 1/2 cup egg white powder (40g)
- 1/4 tsp granulated onion
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp heavy cream (omit or replace with coconut milk for a dairy free version)
- bacon grease or frying fat of your choice
In a medium bowl combine the pork rind crumbs, gelatin powder, egg white powder and seasonings.
In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and heavy cream and toss the sliced onion in the mixture until fully coated.
One at a time, toss the coated onion rings in the breading mixture.
In a large frying pan heat about 1 cup of bacon grease or other frying fat on medium heat just until it begins to smoke.
Cook breaded onion rings for 1-2 minutes per side in the hot oil until as brown as desired.
Remove from the pan to a paper towel lined plate or wire rack. Allow to cool slightly before enjoying with your favorite dipping sauce!
Airfryer instructions: Place breaded onion rings in the airfryer basket in a single layer and spray lightly with cooking spray or drizzle with a bit of melted bacon grease or ghee. Cook at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
This recipe would also work well in a deep fryer. Refer to your deep fryer’s instructions.